Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Quick Tea Bread

I made this apple bread/cake the evening before my Ladies' Bible Study last May. I just pulled out my mixing bowl and measuring utensils and started grabbing the ingredients from my pantry and fridge, as I created it from my own tasteful imagination. Years of experience cooking and baking helped trigger what the workable ingredients might be. If you need to make any little adjustments, go ahead, that's what I do. "Almost" all of my ingredients are whole and organic. Instead of the Splenda, next time I'm going to just use more of the Agave Nectar or some honey.

Bonnie's Healthy Apple Tea Bread

1/4 cup ground flax seed (I used golden); put this in a little bowl; then add one cup boiling water; stir to mix real good and set aside while you put everything else listed below into your mixing bowl. Keep stirring until gooey and blended just slightly thicker than egg whites (this is an egg substitute).

2 cups bread flour
1 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
(This is all I had in the house; normally I would use 1 cup whole wheat flour and then two unbleached white OR 2 cups whole wheat and one cup unbleached white. One could probably interchange the flours according to dietary needs and taste.)

2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup Splenda baking sugar
3 tblsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup dark Agave Nectar
1 tblsp. vanilla (I added the vanilla to the agave nectar and stirred it together before I poured the mixture into everything else.)
1 cup almond milk (unsweetened/regular)--enough so you get the right cake batter/bread batter consistency you like (not too thin though!)

1 organic apple chopped finely (Two might be better; I'll try two next time.)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2-1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Okay--just mix up everything in a bowl. This was enough for either a large, overflowing loaf or two average size loaves. I had one for home and one to take to a meeting.

Oh--I think I baked them at 350 for around 45 minutes--or until done!

This bread turned out very, very moist, not too sweet, and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe.

Let me know how it works for you!

© Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: